Saturday 27 March 2010

A very special Teru Bōzu against the season rain



Teru-teru-bōzu, teru bozu
Do make tomorrow a sunny day
Like the sky in a dream sometime
If it's sunny I'll give you a golden bell

Teru-teru-bōzu, teru bozu
Do make tomorrow a sunny day
If you make my wish come true
We'll drink lots of sweet rice wine

Teru-teru-bōzu, teru bozu
Do make tomorrow a sunny day
But if it's cloudy and you are crying
Then I shall snip your head off


So recite a famous Japanese nursery rhyme, whose protagonist is just the Teru Bōzu, a little traditional doll of Japanese folklore entirely handmade with the white paper or cloth, and whose purpose is to serve as an amulet to prevent rainy days and invoke the good weather.
Here in Paris, during last days weather was not sunny at all, with a lot of clouds and some rain showers... so to get sun I has no choice but to put aside all scepticism and to to turn me too to use this doll... here it is my newborn Teru Bōzu; it has still to be tested to see if its power to scare to death Amefushi - the spirit of rain - is real, but I must admit that even if it fails to fulfil this duty I could never snip its head off as the nursery rhyme says at the end... it is really too cute to be beheaded!


For the moment I am just hanging at the window and even though the weather outside is still cloudy, I’m glad to have at home a new sweet friend who, at worst, will keep me company in these dull rainy days!



If you also want to build your Teru Bōzu you have only cover a spherical object which will become the head of your doll (you can use for example a ping pong or tennis ball or some simple cotton) with a square of cloth or white paper, to be fixed with a ribbon. Then, you can draw eyes, nose and mouth.
If you want to adopt the Teru Bōzu of Memi the Rainbow, you can buy it here.

0 commenti:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin