Monday 26 April 2010

Crafts and dreams



How to prepare a dream? Take the colors and emotions of the day, mix them with sounds, voices musics, memories from the past, add something of the hopes for the future and this is your dream. Nothing more, nothing less. Anyway, for a creative mind dreams are not something different from reality, but live and intersect with it, influencing the direction until it becomes difficult to determine where one ends and the other begins. Stéphane, the protagonist of The Science of Sleep, does not get out from reality seeking refuge in dreams; he just lives his life through them, dreams are his way of relating to things and understand them... art, dreams and life are so closely bound to be indistinguishable.
What I particularly loved about this film is that Stéphane's dreams far away from being soft and evanescent as it is usual to consider them, appear to be very concrete, physically constructed with cardboard, glue, and fabric. He is a practical dreamer, he has a concrete and realist attitude that creates a different reality, more reassuring, almost childish. Even the art of Stéphanie, the girl with which Stéphane fell in love, is not conceptual or abstract at all: she sews colored felt giving life to sweet and reassuring creatures with apparent large stitches. And it is their meeting to make their dreams more real because they can share them.
Me too, just as Stéphanie and Stéphane, I need to touch the concreteness of my dreams that comes to life thanks to a warm and friendly material like felt that fills with colored rolls my little attic under Paris rooftops.
Below are some of my concrete creations, hope you like them!




3 commenti:

Rosita on 29 April 2010 at 13:32 said...

I really like all of your work! :) you are so amazing..

The Little Miss on 29 April 2010 at 19:56 said...

love this all!!! I went to buy the little stamps and they werent there. When you get a chance to re add them let me know :)

Memi The Rainbow on 29 April 2010 at 22:02 said...

Thank you very much, I'm flattered by your kind comments!
For Priscila: I'm away until the 10th may, as soon as I will be back in Paris I will re-open my etsy shop. Thank you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin