Sunday 31 January 2010

Odi et amo. Valentine's Day special creations!



In the era of consumerism, also love becomes a merchandise. And every year for the Valentine's day, the most stupid and weak version of love, packed with a lot of sickly sweet banalities, is very often palmed off to us.
But I'm convinced that the true love is anything but a simple and linear sentiment. I guess that the love is rather a troubled and thwarted feeling that rives the hearth with a sensation of continuos changeableness that swings between the highest satisfaction and the most stabbing pain.
Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
(I hate or I love. For what reason do I do this, maybe you ask.
I know not, but I feel it happening to me and I am tortured)
Catullus, Carmina 85
The contrast in feelings that love provokes is one of the most common subjects of today's world literature. One could cite hundreds of authors who express the same idea of love. But what I find particularly interesting in these few verses of Catullus, is that the drama of trouble is exacerbated by the sad realization that this trouble arises independently of the human will. The poet has perhaps no choice but to take note of the situation and suffer terribly.
These my felt brooches, in their own way "tragic", want to propose an idea nontrivial of love... an idea that can turn into a sweet gift to share (each set if formed by two brooches: you choose which is the character you fell closer) with your beloved during the Valentine's day but not only ...

Here's the tragic adventures of a little tooth too greedy who just cannot give up the beloved and sugary ice-cream even if it is harmful for him...

On sale on my etsy shop.

And here's the history of a capricious floret, too convenced of his beauty, that do the dumb with a little bee...


On sale on my etsy shop.




5 commenti:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com on 31 January 2010 at 19:35 said...

Seriously - THANK YOU for this intelligent piece of writing! It could be so out of place with your cute creations but it's not. You have real thought behind what you do; you quote Catullus AND even manage to deliver some new insight with your interpretation. Love it! I hope you have other readers as well who appreciate it.

♥ Maria-Thérèse blog.afiori.com

Memi The Rainbow on 31 January 2010 at 20:17 said...

Thanks so much for your warm comment! I'm really flattered, it will be hard to not get a big head ^.^!! Anyway, I enjoy a lot of mixing levels totally different because I like to not take myself too seriously, and then I find too funny the effect achieved by combining the only apparently irreconcilable contrasts.
Thanks again!

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com on 31 January 2010 at 22:21 said...

It is so much easier to get attention by doing something stupid than by doing something intelligent, being provocative just for the sake of provoking instead of doing what is truly MEANINGFUL, you know? I think it's very common that blog posts are made shorter / simpler because the blogger is afraid people won't read them, and that there is a great fear of being "difficult". I don't know why I'm getting so few comments on my last photographs, for instance, but many if I show what I wear. And I know a lot of my blog readers are what you'd called smart, educated, whatever. Maybe I shouldn't talk about MY blog, it's not typical for me, but the biggest blogs tend to be the most superficial and I'm not sure why. It makes me sad and disappointed.

T.W on 1 February 2010 at 14:11 said...

Love the comics! So cute and so true... ^-^
The felties are adorable as well~

urban craft on 17 February 2010 at 22:57 said...

oh the sweetness of the ice-cream and tooth and flower and bee. Very creative and cute!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin